Low-key win for Connacht

first_img Matt Healy and Robbie Henshaw scored tries either side of half-time and 20-year-old tournament debutant Jack Carty kicked the rest of the points for Pat Lam’s men. Carty kicked two penalties to Luciano Orquera’s lone first-half effort, with winger Healy’s first Heineken Cup try – scored while Zebre’s Filippo Ferrarini was in the sin-bin – moving Connacht 13-3 ahead at the break. Connacht got the required victory to keep themselves in the hunt for a Heineken Cup quarter-final place, as they ran out 20-3 winners over Zebre at the Sportsground. Healy did extremely well to fend off Guglielmo Palazzani’s initial tackle and Giulio Toniolatti also lost his grip on the 24-year-old as he crawled over in the left corner. Television match official Iain Ramage gave the thumbs-up to the score, which Carty brilliantly converted from the touchline. Zebre went further behind three minutes into the second half, as Henshaw stepped his way over to the right of the posts after Swift’s clever offload and an instinctive between-the-legs pass from Carty. Carty’s conversion made it 20-3 and the home crowd urged Connacht to cut loose, although the Italians fought valiantly right to the finish. Their stubborn defence prevented the province from using their lineout maul as a springboard for further scores. Healy was unfortunate to lose control of the ball as he dived low for the try-line in the 67th minute following some incisive running from Henshaw and Carr. There was another near miss late on for Healy who got no reward for his own breakaway effort, with Zebre replacement David Odiete getting back to deny him in the same left corner. Despite the frustrating finish, the two-try performance still saw Connacht match their best return in a Heineken Cup season – three wins from last year. They lie third in Pool 3, two points behind Toulouse and Saracens who meet on Sunday. Henshaw then touched down with the promise of more scores, but the concluding 37 minutes were scoreless as the hosts’ bonus-point push failed to materialise. The result is enough to keep Lam’s charges in contention to reach the last eight, a scenario which is only possible if they beat Saracens at Allianz Park next Saturday and other results go their way. Zebre had the better of a scrappy first quarter in Galway that was pockmarked with mistakes, and the kickers also each missed their first shot at the posts. A burst through midfield from Eoin Griffin set up a left-sided penalty for fly-half Carty but he sent his kick narrowly wide, while Orquera also missed the target after an intercept from Kameli Ratuvou. The Italians hit the front in the 16th minute when they won a scrum against the head and their international fly -half punished a Connacht maul infringement with the opening three points. Fionn Carr flew through a gap to get the hosts into scoring range and Carty duly levelled matters with a 34-metre penalty from the left. Carr was again involved just moments later before Henshaw’s chip through bounced favourably for the westerners. Prop Nathan White was held up short after a powerful charge and Zebre flanker Ferrarini saw yellow for not rolling away. Carty claimed the three points on offer and Connacht continued to knock on the door, locks Andrew Browne and Michael Swift both going close before man-of-the-match Healy broke the deadlock five minutes before the break. Press Associationlast_img read more

Bullies Pummel 14-year-old Florida Boy on Bus ‘because he’d worn a Trump 2020 hat’

first_imgShocking video has emerged showing a 14-year-old boy being attacked on a Florida school bus, allegedly because he’d previously worn a hat supporting President Donald Trump.The incident occurred on November 21 in Hamilton County, Florida, and the video first emerged on Thursday after the boy’s family retained attorney Foye B. Walker for possible legal action.The incident left the boy, identified only as Tyler, hospitalized with head contusions, according to his mother.The attorney, Walker, verified in a tweet that the incident occurred on a school bus in Hamilton County, and that he was representing the family.Has this story been covered by major American media?https://t.co/OyStV6Uejz— Mark R. Levin (@marklevinshow) December 13, 2019last_img read more

Everton 0-0 Liverpool: Misfiring Reds lose vital ground in Premier League title race

first_imgLiverpool were unable to regain their spot at the top of the Premier League after only managing a goalless draw at Everton in the 233rd Merseyside derby.The Reds were guilty of missing a number of big chances, with Mohamed Salah missing two huge chances, while Fabinho missed a sitter in the second-half.And, while the Toffees’ wait for a win in his fixture was stretched to 17 matches, Blues fans took great delight in putting a significant dent in their rivals’ hopes of ending a 29-year wait for a title.Jurgen Klopp’s side now trail City by a point with nine matches remaining.It was a typical derby encounter and Everton contributed hugely to that as, despite just six wins in 14 home league matches, they took the game to their opponents.Dominic Calvert-Lewin gave Virgil Van Dijk plenty to think about with his harrying and harassing and although it occupied the Holland international he remained the calmest man on the pitch.Similarly Bernard, preferred to Richarlison on the left wing, posed plenty of questions of full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold, although Salah was even more of a problem for Lucas Digne without actually being dangerous.The one chance Salah, still looking for his 50th league goal for the club, was presented to him when Morgan Schneiderlin got caught out of position in central midfield and Fabinho slipped through a pass, but the Egypt international narrowed the angle too much and Jordan Pickford pulled off a good save.Everton’s best chance came when Theo Walcott broke down the right but he blazed wide under pressure from Andrew Robertson.Salah wasted another chance 10 minutes into the second half when put through thanks to Joel Matip’s weaving run but the Egyptian delayed and Michael Keane got back to block.The first substitution was Everton’s on the hour with Richarlison replacing Walcott, a sign Marco Silva sensed the game was still there to be won.Klopp responded with a double-change of Firmino and James Milner, with the former creating a headed chance for Mane within a minute of coming on.Digne produced a goal-saving interception to prevent Fabinho converting Van Dijk’s knockdown while a sliding Bernard failed to connect with Richarlison’s cross on the break.Liverpool were winning the midfield battle but Everton were defensively resolute, although Matip skewing a header wide contributed to their efforts.A fourth draw in six matches is turning a stutter into more of a stumble for Liverpool and will require significant remedial action if they are not to see City, with nine wins in their last 10, disappear into the distance. –Source: talkSPORTlast_img read more