Federer edges Youzhny in 5 sets at US Open; Nadal needs 4

first_imgBiggest Pogo service provider padlocked for tax evasion NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul A couple of seeded men departed, too: No. 7 Grigor Dimitrov and No. 15 Tomas Berdych, the 2010 Wimbledon runner-up.The No. 3-seeded Federer won five consecutive U.S. Open championships from 2004-08 and also was the runner-up twice, including two years ago. But he missed last year’s tournament while taking off the second half of the season to let his back and surgically repaired left knee fully heal.That back, an off-and-on issue for years, flared up again while Federer was losing in the final of the Montreal Masters in August. He didn’t get to fully work on returns or serves, in particular, as the U.S. Open approached. That lack of training and the resulting lack of timing — rather than pain from his back — is what Federer said caused him problems Tuesday night in the first round against 19-year-old American Frances Tiafoe and again against Youzhny, a former top-10 player who reached the 2006 and 2010 U.S. Open semifinals but is now ranked 101st.“I’m pretty confident that I’m only going to get better from here. That’s a good thing,” Federer said. “Because I’ve played a lot, I definitely found some rhythm now.”He did falter repeatedly Thursday, though.Federer let a lead slip away in the second set and got broken while serving for it at 5-4.“He helped me to come back,” Youzhny said.Federer stumbled again while serving for the fourth set at 5-3, but responded to a break there by breaking right back.Still, Federer’s unforced errors continued to mount in the fifth set — 11 in the first four games alone, including a badly shanked forehand on his first break point at 2-1, a netted backhand on his second, and a long forehand to let Youzhny hold there. Eventually, Federer nosed ahead, aided by the considerable dip in the 35-year-old Youzhny’s level of play.While Federer played his first-round match Tuesday under the roof in Ashe, Youzhny’s opener was postponed until Wednesday because of rain, and he blamed that for his fatigue. His legs started cramping late in the third set Thursday and then reached other parts of his body, even his fingers, by the end. That made it hard to move forward or to jump normally while serving. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “He’s also a real man who plays tennis,” Youzhny noted. “He’s not a god.”Well, OK, that’s true. But remember: Federer did not drop a single set en route to his record eighth Wimbledon championship in July. And that he is 37-3 with five titles, including two at majors to raise his record total to 19.Second on that list, with 15, is No. 1-seeded Rafael Nadal, who trailed by a set and a break before figuring things out and beating 121st-ranked Taro Daniel of Japan 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 in Ashe at night. That followed 20th-seeded American CoCo Vandeweghe’s 7-6 (6), 6-2 victory over Ons Jabeur of Tunisia under the lights.What already was a wide-open women’s bracket became more so when 2004 U.S. Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova was upset by 116th-ranked Kurumi Nara of Japan 6-3, 3-6, 6-3. The No. 8-seeded Kuznetsova’s exit means five of the top eight women are already gone.Two other seeded women lost to Americans in the afternoon: Shelby Rogers edged No. 25 Daria Gavrilova 7-6 (6), 4-6, 7-6 (5) in a tournament-record 3 hours, 33 minutes, and Jennifer Brady eliminated No. 23 Barbora Strycova 6-1, 6-1.ADVERTISEMENT Promoters: Pacquiao-Horn rematch won’t happen this year Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim LATEST STORIES Rafael Nadal, of Spain, reacts after winning a point against Taro Daniel, of Japan, during the U.S. Open tennis tournament, Thursday, Aug. 31, 2017, in New York. (AP Photo/Jason DeCrow)NEW YORK — A bad back prevented Roger Federer from getting ready for the U.S. Open the way he prefers to prepare for a Grand Slam tournament. And it’s showed so far.Federer blamed a lack of proper practice after making an uncharacteristic 68 unforced errors and being forced to go five sets again before coming back to edge a cramping Mikhail Youzhny 1-6, 7-6 (3), 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 on Thursday in Arthur Ashe Stadium.ADVERTISEMENT Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side It is the first time the 36-year-old Federer has played five-setters in both the first and second rounds at a major tournament.“I knew I was going to maybe struggle early on. Maybe I struggled more than I would have liked to. But I’m still in the draw, which gives me a chance. I still believe I’m going to pick up my game and become just more consistent because I’m not playing all that bad,” Federer said. “It’s just that I’m going a bit up and down in waves throughout the match.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingGiven that Federer entered the day with a 16-0 career record against Youzhny and a 16-0 mark in the U.S. Open’s second round, one might have thought that their match would be a mismatch.Think again. At 1-all in the deciding set, Youzhny collapsed to the court, grabbing at his right leg after whiffing on an attempted swat at Federer’s lob. Youzhny stayed down for a few moments, then grimaced and limped around for the rest of that game.Afterward, Youzhny chuckled at the mention of having lost all 17 matches against Federer, even leaning back in his chair and joking about how he would have completed the upset if Grand Slam rules were different: “I beat him in three sets now — but we played five sets. But come on, if we played three sets, I already beat him!”Federer, naturally, preferred to look at matters from a different perspective.“I find my way,” he said. “I don’t panic.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games MOST READ View commentslast_img read more

BOJ Projects Modest Growth for 2013/14

first_imgThe Bank of Jamaica (BoJ) is projecting economic growth ranging between 0.5 and 1.5 per cent for the 2013/14 fiscal year.BoJ Governor, Brian Wynter, who made the disclosure during the Bank’s quarterly media briefing on Wednesday, May 15, said this forecast is based on the “expected boost” to investor confidence, consequent on the government’s recent conclusion of a four-year Extended Fund Facility (EFF) with the International Monetary Fund (IMF), and the resulting funding support from other multilateral agencies and institutions anticipated.The IMF has already disbursed an initial US$207.2 million under the EFF provision to Jamaica, of which US$87.9 million represents budgetary support for the government.This, the Governor said, is expected to be complemented by anticipated loan and grant funding of some US$2 billion in multilateral support from agencies such as the World Bank, European Union (EU), and Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), over the medium term.Mr. Wynter pointed out that the private sector is expected to benefit from the government’s fiscal consolidation programme, which is anticipated to release resources for investments.“The robust growth of 18.4 per cent in private sector credit for 2012/13 is anticipated to provide some momentum for the projected growth for the current (2013/14) fiscal year. Note (should) be taken of the decline of 50 basis points, or half per cent, in average lending rates to the private sector at commercial banks during the March quarter,” he informed.While noting that these rates are “still higher than desired”, Mr. Wynter said this “bodes well” for future credit expansion.“In this regard, at 5.3 per cent, the quarter saw the strongest rate of quarterly growth in loans and advances since 2011,” he added.Mr. Wynter said BoJ estimates for the January to March quarter suggest that the economy contracted in the range of -1.2 to -0.2 per cent. The economy is estimated to have contracted in the range of -1.0 to 0.0 per cent for the 2012/13 fiscal year.“The estimated outturn for this (January to March) quarter reflected the impact of drought conditions as well as weak domestic and external demand. In addition, continued uncertainty about prospects for the economy had a debilitating impact on investments and economic activity in general,” the Governor stated.In light of this, Mr. Wynter contended that the IMF’s approval of the Extended Fund Facility for Jamaica and anticipated strengthening of currency inflows from multilateral agencies should serve to boost confidence in the economy.Additionally, he said interest rates continue to be at “historically” low levels, and are expected to remain relatively low in light of the successful implementation of the National Debt Exchange (NDX), and the government’s fiscal consolidation programme.“These developments are expected to lead to a gradual recovery in the domestic economic activity and per capita income over the near to medium term. In this context, the Bank of Jamaica’s primary focus will remain the reduction of inflation over the medium term, towards levels which prevail among our trading partners,” Mr. Wynter said.Contact: Douglas McIntoshlast_img read more