Wind Chill Warning Continues

first_imgWIND CHILL WARNING ISSUED For Fort St John BY ENVIRONMENT CANADABULLETIN ISSUED AT: 3.47 PM PST WEDNESDAY 25 FEBRUARY 2009EXTREME WIND CHILL VALUES OF NEAR MINUS 40 FORECAST FOR TONIGHT AND THURSDAY.  THIS IS A WARNING THAT EXTREME WIND CHILL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS.- Advertisement –last_img

No takers for Taarabt

first_imgChelsea have reportedly been told they can land Brazillian superstar Kaka for a cut-price £22m.QPR await offers for Taarabt. Again.The Daily Star say Real Madrid are ready to sell the midfielder and that his move to Stamford Bridge could be partly funded by the sale of Florent Malouda to Russian club Anzhi for £6m.Metro say Serbia winger Milos Krasic has emerged as Chelsea’s top attacking transfer target after being told he has no future at Juventus.Meanwhile, the Daily Mirror suggest Fulham are leading the race to sign Chris Gunter from Nottingham Forest.Blackburn and Norwich are also believed to be interested in buying the Wales defender.A transfer window wouldn’t be a transfer window without Adel Taarabt being linked with a host of top clubs only for not a single bid to materialise.And the Daily Mail say QPR are struggling to drum up serious interest in the Moroccan, who was said to be close to a move to Paris St Germain.This page is updated throughout the day. Follow West London Sport on Twitterlast_img read more

Raiders relish in win No. 2 even if picking first becomes less likely

first_imgClick HERE if you’re unable to view the gallery on your mobile device.GLENDALE — Raucous applause filled the Raiders’ locker room as Jon Gruden’s booming voice traveled to the adjacent room, where an empty podium awaited him after a win for only the second time this season.There were smiles and there was laughter, and linebacker Tahir Whitehead carried his boombox to his cubby with music filtering throughout a locker room that looked and sounded nothing like most have for the worst team in …last_img read more

All set for ‘safe, enjoyable’ Afcon 2013

first_img18 January 2013Soccer fans attending the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) tournament in South Africa can be assured of a safe, enjoyable experience.The South African Police Service (SAPS) and SA National Defence Force (SANDF) have assured visiting Afcon fans that they will be protected from the moment they arrive at the country’s ports of entry.Joints operations centreAddressing the media in Pretoria on Thursday, the SAPS’s Lieutenant-General Elias Mawela said that all Afcon security operations would be coordinated through a national joint operational and intelligence structure (Natjoints).Situated in Pretoria, and fitted with the most sophisticated technology, Natjoints will be manned by representatives from the SAPS, SANDF, Metro Police, Intelligence agencies and representatives from various government departments.It will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week for the duration of the tournament, which runs from 19 January through 10 February.Natjoints started operating on 10 January and will continue with its operations until 19 February. Natjoints structures will be duplicated in other host provinces.“The mandate is to plan, implement, execute and monitor all inter-departmental and cross-provincial operations affecting safety, security and stability in the Republic of South Africa,” Mawela said.He added that much had been done to ensure that soccer fans enjoyed the tournament.According to Mawela, Natjoints had been successfully coordinating major events for the past 12 years, including the 2003 cricket and the 2010 soccer World Cups and various international conferences, the most recent being COP 17.Police along all routes, in stadiums, on trainsHe said police would be deployed along all major routes leading to the stadiums, adding that “spotters” would be deployed inside and outside the stadiums during matches to ensure that trouble makers were immediately identified and removed from the stadiums.Air-space restrictions will also be in force over all stadiums used for the Afcon tournament.Police officials will also be deployed in trains to ensure the safety of fans travelling to and from the stadiums.Mawela added that there would be a team of dedicated detectives dealing with all Afcon-related cases.National Police Commissioner Ria Phiyage expressed confidence in the Afcon security strategy, saying she was certain all would go according to plan.Source: SANews.gov.zalast_img read more

Harbhajan offers Rs 1 lakh for national athlete who lost leg

first_imgIndia off-spinner Harbhajan Singh has offered monetary help of Rs 1 lakh to national level football and volleyball player Arunima Sinha who lost her leg after being thrown out of a running train by robbers near Bareilly.Harbhajan, who played a crucial role in India’s triumph in the World Cup which India won after 28 years, had some encouraging words for Arunima.”I got to know this news through a friend and I really feel for the young girl. Her life is ahead of her and as a sportsman, it’s our responsibility to help her.”I would like to tell Arunima that she should not lose heart and champions like her will overcome all the obstacles.I offer this small token of help and wish her all the very best in life,” Harbhajan said.Earlier, Indian batsman Yuvraj Singh too came in support of Arunima, offering her Rs 1 lakh.”It is really unfortunate and tragic with what has happened to Arunima. She must be brave sportsperson who came forward to fight against robbery. I know the loss is irreparable, but I would like to offer her this little contribution on of one lakh rupees,” he had in a statement issued by ‘Yuvraj Singh Foundation’.Arunima alias Sonu lost her leg after she was pushed out of the Padmavat Express near Bareilly on Monday night by three men trying to snatch her gold chain when she was travelling to Delhi to appear for a CISF examination.As she lay on the tracks, another train ran over her left leg. She had fractures on her right leg and also suffered head injuries.advertisementRailways has offered her a job while sports minister Ajay Maken announced Rs 2 lakh medical compensation and an immediate ex-gratia of Rs 25,000.- With PTI inputslast_img read more

Sandy Bay mother meets the man building her a new home for

first_imgMelissa Ridgen APTN National NewsA Sandy Bay mother of seven has had less than a week to get her head around the idea that her family will soon be free of rats and sewage.That’s because she is getting a new home.Thanks to a kind-hearted donor.APTN was there when she got to meet the donor and find out more about her dream home.last_img

Membertou First Nation gears up for MMIWG Inquiry

first_img(Agnes Gould is holding up a picture of her missing sister, Virgina Sue Pictou during a ceremony held for the opening of the MMIWG inquiry on Membertou First Nation, NS. Photo: Tom Fennario/APTN)Tom FennarioAPTN NewsOut of her purse, Agnes Gould pulls out some sheets of paper – on the front is the agenda for the upcoming hearings for the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls taking place this week in Membertou First Nation, NS.The Mi’kmaw woman flips them over, and their backs are crammed full with handwritten notes.“We’re trying to just come up with a timeline of what we’ve all done,” said Gould, gesturing to her two brothers and father.“We’ve started jotting down little notes, here and there, of what our family has gone through to find our sister.”Gould’s sister, Virgina Sue Pictou, was last seen in an emergency room in Maine on April 24 1993.They’ve scoured the country looking for her ever since.“After 24 years, we’re still looking. It’s hard on us as a family,” said Gould, a member of Membertou.Gould and her family will be testifying Wednesday at the inquiry.She said they will speak about how Virgina’s case went cold when the detective in charge of the file retired – of how she left behind a nine-month-old baby, and of how her disappearance is far from unique.“We want awareness of how big the situation is. Not only for us…we are just one story out of a thousand,” said Gould.(Cheryl Maloney lobbied the government for years to call a national inquiry. Photo: Tom Fennario/APTN)Cheryl Maloney is the president of the Eastern Door Indigenous Women’s Association, an organization that represents Aboriginal women across the Maritimes.“Now that the day is here we want it to be successful, we want it to be safe for the families, we want it to succeed,” Maloney said.However, Maloney said she’s well aware of the problems the inquiry has faced since it’s debut, including several high profile resignations.“I’m not saying nothing’s wrong with it, I’m saying our job is to always support the families, and this is just one more extension of supporting the families,” Maloney said.“For all the years I spent calling for an inquiry, I hope that they can get it right, I hope that we can change things up.”For Gould and family, the hope is it can lead to some measure of closure.“A little bit of relief for us would be good, just being able to say the last time I saw my sister was ‘this time’, right? To be able to say for sure, ‘The last time I saw my sister I remember her beautiful smile, I remember how good she cooked fried chicken’,” said Gould.“But I don’t see her today, I don’t get to say, ‘Hey sis, did you hear about your granddaughter graduating from kindergarten. It’s really sad that way, but the reality is that she’s missing. ”MMIWG inquiry commissioners Michèle Audette and Qajaq Robinson will be listening to the testimony of approximately 40 people over the course of three days, starting Monday at 9 am.Contact Tom here: tfennario@aptn.calast_img read more