Marquee 400m hurdler Kaliese Spencer recalls last season as bittersweet but remains confident that should she medal at this year’s Olympics in Rio, Brazil, it would put the icing on the cake as her greatest year ever.Spencer is one of the most successful track athletes in the history of the Diamond League circuit with a total of 21 wins.In an interview with The Gleaner, Spencer said that 2015 was a bittersweet season for her. “It began great. Unfortunately, I got an injury and I wasn’t able to complete my season as I would have wanted to but just using that as a stepping stone for this season.”Jamaica and the world have definitely not seen Kaliese Spencer’s best. I think this season is going to be a great season, so just watch out.”Despite her recent IAAF World Championships medal failures in the finals, Spencer maintains that she is over those disappointments, settled in her new training club, and looking at improving.”I have a great set of coaches working with – great people, great athletes – and it’s like a family,” she outlined at Cameron Blazers, adding that it would help her medal this year.”Definitely, I will be on the medal podium (Rio Olympic Games). I just want to stay healthy, and once God is in it, I will be a winner and I will be there,” Spencer continued.”I am over that (disappointments) long time ago. I don’t stay long on one thing. I just get going. OK, that was it. I am strong in faith, and I believe that God is by my side, and I believe that one day I will be victorious, and I am just working towards that,” she said.Though Spencer admits that she has a lot left in the tank, she did not want to predict how fast she could run this year.”I am not thinking about (times) that. I am just thinking about focusing and getting my technique better and getting stronger and staying healthy, and once I stay healthy, the times will come,” stressed Spencer.
3 They are keen to bring the 18-year-old to Spain, but may have to fork out a world-record £114.5m to do so and Morata could be the man to make way for around 70m Euros.Morata netted 20 goals and assisted six in 2016/17, his first season back at the club, despite being in and out of the team.A Manchester United move looks dead in the water and he will have to hope Chelsea come calling. Manchester United are closing in on the £75m signing of Romelu Lukaku from Everton – so what does this mean for Alvaro Morata?The Spain international was one of the Red Devils’ top summer targets and, after missing out on Antoine Griezmann, an Old Trafford move appeared to be on the cards. So much so, Morata himself was reportedly convinced as late as Wednesday evening that he would become a United player.But Jose Mourinho’s side seemingly had a change of heart.The Portuguese boss was said to be concerned Real Madrid were using their interest in order to extend the 24-year-old’s contract at the Bernabeu, leaving United embarassed.Mourinho, who gave Morata his Real Madrid debut in 2010, turned his attentions to a forward proven in the Premier League, in Romelu Lukaku, leaving Morata bewildered and uncertain of his employers next term.He was so sure of linking up with Mourinho at United that he snubbed an offer from AC Milan, who have been ambitious in the transfer market so far this summer.With pre-season starting, Morata will be keen to sort out his future sooner rather than later. 3 3 Chelsea have also been linked with a move for the former Juventus striker and, after they appear to have missed out on Lukaku, Morata is on a shortlist to replace the seemingly outgoing Diego Costa at Stamford Bridge. Andrea Belotti of Torino also features, but his £87million release clause could put off the Blues, as does Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez while a cheaper option could be Fernando Llorente of Swansea.Even a Chelsea move would depend on manager Antonio Conte, whose future has been plunged into huge doubt after being left ‘livid’ with the Premier League champions for missing out on Lukaku.Chelsea’s contact with Morata had recently gone quiet due to their interest in the Belgian forward, although Conte is believed to still rate him highly.But now he is out of the question, The Independent claims Morata is ‘still hoping’ Chelsea turn to him. Morata missed out on the chance to play under Conte at Juventus, joining the Old Lady shortly after the manager took charge of Italy’s national team. But he played in a team with foundations set up by Conte and is said to be keen to work with him.Morata’s Madrid exit could also be helped by the LaLiga and Champions League winners’ desire to win the race for teenage star Kylian Mbappe from Monaco – READ MORE HERE. Alvaro Morata: Real Madrid forward ‘left hoping’ Chelsea remain interested
A Lifford Garda detective has claimed he does not think a local man charged with being a member of the IRA has had any connection with any republican group for at least ten years.Detective Garda Trevor Moore gave evidence in the Special Criminal Court that he had no evidence to suggest Philip McGavigan, 49, was a member of the outlawed group.McGavigan of Coneyburrow, Lifford pleaded not guilty to being a member of the IRA on February 2, 2010. On the night McGavigan was arrested at the scene of a garda operation outside an isolated house near Ballybofey, which had earlier been evacuated after detectives received confidential information that an “event” would take place there.McGavigan had driven and parked a green Opel Corsa along the rough laneway leading up to the house, while two individuals, who were never apprehended, got out of the car and approached the dwelling.The court heard evidence that after a sweep of a field close to the house, Gardaí discovered a sawn-off double barrel Baretta shotgun, a loaded Smith & Wesson .38 calibre revolver, a balaclava and other items of clothing.However Detective Moore agreed with Mr Thomas O’Connell SC, for the State, that he was charged with preparing a report on McGavigan in which he concluded that it was “fair to say” that the accused man had no association with any republican or dissident personnel over the past five or ten years.Det Gda Moore, who has been stationed in Lifford garda station for 30 years, stressed that the report was based on his personal opinion and his local knowledge only.And he added that he did not have access to any PSNI reports or national Garda intelligence documents when preparing the report.The trial, which is expected to last two weeks, continues in front of presiding judge Mr Justice Paul Butler.EndsDONEGAL GARDA CLAIMS ACCUSED HAD NO CONNECTION WITH IRA FOR 10 YEARS was last modified: May 12th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)