A group of 131 academics, intellectuals, professionals and civil society leaders in Assam have sought rescheduling of hearings for National Register of Citizens applicants who have been issued notices to have their citizenship documents re-verified within a very short time.In an appeal to the Supreme Court, which has been monitoring the NRC updating exercise, the 131 signatories said the “sudden, suspicious and mischievous” notices have created panic among a section of the people who were included in the draft NRC published on July 30, 2018.“The people of Assam have been supporting the NRC updating process and participating in the hearings and verifications, sometimes even by paying huge costs in terms of time, energy and financial resources. Nevertheless, they are ready to go through any verification whenever required for the greater interest of an error-free and just NRC,” said the appeal to Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi submitted to the court’s Registrar on Tuesday.‘Panicky situation’“However, we would like to draw your kind attention regarding the panicky situation created by suspicious and mischievous notices served to NRC applicants for reverification by the NRC authority in Assam. Now notices are being served to people and they are asked to go in far-flung areas with a short notice of one or two days,” the appeal reads.Also Read Protest against NRC reverification notices “The people of Assam in general and people living in riverine areas in particular have experienced one of the worst floods in recent years. They are struggling to cope with the losses and many of them are still living in temporary relief camps. Under such circumstances, if these people are asked to attend the NRC hearing giving them just one or two days and summoned to 500-600 km away from their homes, there is little doubt that a large number of them wouldn’t be able to attend the hearings,” the signatories said.‘At least a week’They asked the court to direct the NRC authority to reschedule the hearing either within the district or within adjoining districts and provide at least a week’s time so that the applicants could attend the hearing and complete the process within the August 31 deadline.“Kindly direct the NRC authority to make the notice available on the Internet along with the physical serving so that people living in other States can also access the same and attend the hearing accordingly,” the signatories said, also seeking instruction to the district administration to provide basic transport facilities in the greater interest of an error-free and fair NRC.
His finishing skills called into question by critics, Mahendra Singh Dhoni on Tuesday received firm backing from spin legend Shane Warne, who feels that former India captain doesn’t need to “prove anything to anyone”.Removed from captaincy before the start of the 10th edition of the ongoing Indian Premier League, Dhoni so far has had a quiet tournament for Rising Pune Supergiant by his standards, scoring only 61 runs in five games. (Dhoni answers critics with stunning glovework, monstrous six)Warne today took to twitter to back Dhoni, who has been a phenomenal limited-overs cricketer.”@msdhoni does not have to prove anything to anyone, he’s class & a wonderful player in all formats. MS is also a great captain & inspires!,” Warne wrote on his twitter page..@msdhoni does not have to prove anything to anyone, he’s class & a wonderful player in all formats. MS is also a great captain & inspires !- Shane Warne (@ShaneWarne) April 18, 2017Dhoni’s strike-rate in the 10th IPL has been a dismal 87.14 with an average of shade over 15. He has managed to hit only two sixes in five games. (Dhoni has amazing hands, Stokes warns batsmen)While he is still the undisputed No.1 keeper-batsman in the limited-overs format but inconsistent form over the past year has led to the debate if he is still a potent match-winner.
WILMINGTON, MA — Below are FIVE things that happened at the Wilmington Board of Selectmen’s Meeting on Monday, May 13, 2019:#1) BENDEL BECOMES CHAIR: During the board’s annual reorganization, Selectman Greg Bendel was unanimously elected as Chair. Outgoing Chair Kevin Caira called it a “privilege” and “honor” to serve in the position for the past year, and then nominated Bendel to serve in the role. “I appreciate my colleagues’ vote of confidence. I promise I’ll do the best I can for the residents,” said Bendel, who was recently re-elected to his term on the board.#2) ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE FINALIZED: Wilmington’s newest selectwoman — Jomarie O’Mahony — appointed Tom Card to the town’s new Economic Development Committee. Card is a local business owner, former business analyst, volunteer, father of five, and 18-year Wilmington resident. The other Selectmen had previously made their appointments in April. The Committee — which consists of Jeff Hull, Valerie Gingrich, Greg Bendel, Nancy Vallee, Mike Champoux, Lilia Maselli, Patrick Giroux, Suzanne Sullivan, Robert Oliveira, Carol Boisvert, and Dan Gibbons — will likely hold its first meeting in June.The Committee has several goals, including:Gain an understanding of what economic development means to residents, the degree to which residents are seeking more businesses or expansion of existing business, and the types of businesses residents would like to see in Wilmington.Gain an understanding of Wilmington’s strengths and vulnerabilities as a host community to businesses currently operating, businesses considering Wilmington as a potential place to relocate, and for individuals seeking to start a business.Facilitate communication with members of the Wilmington/Tewksbury Chamber of Commerce and other business in Wilmington and the area to understand their short and long term plans, opportunities and challenges.Create an informational tool that presents Wilmington “in a nut shell,” providing statistics about the population, demographics workforce, and the attributes that make Wilmington the place to conduct business.Serve as an educational forum for committee members and the public by hosting guest speakers to cover different elements of economic development.#3) NO CHANGES TO TOWN COUNSEL & SPECIAL TOWN COUNSEL: Selectmen unanimously approved a 1-year contract for KP Law to serve as Town Counsel. The only change from the current agreement is the monthly hourly rate is increasing from $195 to $200. Selectmen also unanimously approved another 1-year contract for Brooks and DeRensis — specially Dan Deutsch — to serve as Special Town Counsel on matters related to Olin Chemical and New England Transrail. The only change from the current agreement is associate John Ruggerio is authorized to work on the case, replacing associate Lou Ross.#4) SELECTMEN PAUSE POLE REQUEST: Selectmen requested that MSR Utility Corporation, National Grid, and the Town Engineer meet with abutters before they vote on a request for the utility company to place a new pole on Salem Street and a new pole on Anthony Avenue.#5) CAR WASH FUNDRAISER APPROVED: Selectmen approved the request of Julie Breen and Jennifer Cushing, Co-Presidents of the Friends of Field Hockey, for the Wilmington High School Field Hockey to conduct a Car Wash fundraiser in the Municipal Parking Lot, next to the Fourth of July Building, on Sunday, September 8, 2019, from 9am to 1pm.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE GETS TO WORK: 20 Building Projects Happening In Town RIGHT NOWIn “Business”SELECTMEN NOTEBOOK: 5 Things That Happened At Last Week’s Selectmen’s MeetingIn “Government”SELECTMEN NOTEBOOK: 6 Things That Happened At This Month’s Selectmen’s MeetingIn “Government”
Bookings for the much-anticipated Ford EcoSport has begun in India even as the people wait for the company to announce the launch date of the vehicle.Ford’s compact SUV Ecosport, which made its debut at the 2012 Delhi Auto Expo, has already earned the accolade of being one of the most victorious launches in the history of the company. While the car has been marketed in many countries like Brazil and China, the US auto maker is yet to reveal its plans for India launch. However, the company on Wednesday declared that the booking for its new compact SUV is open in India with advance payment of ₹50,000. The company will charge ₹3000 for cancellation of the booking.Meanwhile, EcoSport aficionados in India are disappointed with the Ford’s decision to keep them in the dark about the launch of the vehicle.”Ford dealerships across India have started accepting bookings to meet enthusiastic demand of the #EcoSport,” Ford India posted on its official Facebook page on Friday.EcoSport, which received soft launch in 12 cities as part of its EcoSport Urban Discoveries campaign roadshow, is expected to come in four trims – Ambiente, Trend, Titanium and Titanium Optional trims. The top-end variants, which are powered by the 1.5-litre petrol engine, will come with a six-speed automatic transmission, while the Ambiente and Trend will have the 5-speed manual transmission (MT). The base model of the EcoSport Ambient will lack safety features like ABS and airbags but will have manual air conditioning, manual rear windows and Bluetooth audio system.According to reports, the EcoSport SUV will be launched in seven colour variants and the interior will come in two colour options – charcoal black + warm neutral gray (offered on all variants except on Titanium (O)) and charcoal black + dark shadow gray (exclusive for the top end Titanium (O) model). The Titanium and Titanium (O) trims will feature Smart Keyless entry and Push Button Start. The SYNC emergency system is exclusive for the top two models of EcoSport. Along with the Sync Emergency technology, the top variants will also have CD/MP3 player and a 3.5-inch multifunction display.
To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Listen 00:00 /50:48 X On Tuesday’s Houston Matters: Houston cycling advocates are taking another look at the city’s bike plan. Bike Houston just released a report card, which comes a year after Houston City Council adopted the plan. John Long, Bike Houston’s executive director, lays out his organization’s thoughts on the plan.Also this hour: 25 years ago this week, the siege on a religious compound near Waco went wrong, leaving more than 80 people dead. We hear from the people who were there, as part of our collaboration with the Houston Chronicle remembering the lessons of the Waco tragedy.Then, the Texas Association of Museums is holding its annual conference this week in Houston. We find out what will be discussed and learn what major issues museums are facing these days – especially the many in Houston’s lauded Museum District.Plus, we learn how an engineer designed cost-effective wheelchairs to be distributed by his nonprofit, Free Wheelchair Mission. And Brantley Hargrove talks about his new book The Man who Caught the Storm: The Life of Legendary Tornado Chaser Tim Samaras.WATCH: Today’s Houston Matters 360-Degree Facebook Live VideoWe also offer a free daily, downloadable podcast here, on iTunes, Stitcher and various other podcasting apps. This article is part of the Houston Matters podcast Share
To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: X 00:00 /16:49 Listen From potential legislation to protect special counsel Robert Mueller from being fired by Pres. Trump, to more legal trouble for Paul Manafort, to the tear gas response to migrants attempting to cross into the U.S. from Tijuana, Mexico, our local experts break down the latest political stories with an eye for how they might affect Houston and Texas.In the audio above, Brandon Rottinghaus from the University of Houston and co-host of Houston Public Media’s Party Politics podcast and political analyst Nancy Sims join host Craig Cohen to break down these and other stories. Share