Macphie, the Scottish-based bakery and food ingredients manufacturer, has seen profits and sales increase off the back of weaker dairy prices.Underlying profit at the group doubled from £1.4m in 2014 to £2.8m in the past 12 months, while sales grew to £44.6m and gross profit for the full year increased to £11.5m (2014 – £9.0m), the company has revealed.Macphie said it had seen continued strong sales growth in the foodservice and food manufacturing channels, with foodservice in particular benefiting from increased consumer spending.The weakness of dairy sector pricing contributed significantly to gross margin recovery and largely compensated for the significant hit the business suffered the previous year, added the group.Andy Underwood, the managing director who took over the helm in January 2014, said: “Looking forward, with the business now back on the right track, increased growth opportunities are now presenting themselves and, with a strong innovation agenda, we can continue to support significant investment in operational capabilities and product development.”Chairman Alastair Macphie added: “It’s a very positive set of results, which is particularly pleasing given the challenges the business faced the previous 12 months, especially due to the increase in raw material costs. These results are testament to all the hard work and dedication of Macphie employees.”The company relaunched its website last month so it now includes new features such as downloadable brochures, a recipe database and access to insight research. The search function has been enhanced and it is compatible with mobile devices.
“We’re finding our identity. Whereas before, maybe a year ago, we didn’t have any. We were just another bottom-dwelling team,” said the guard, who accounted for 19 points in Phoenix’s latest conquest.Wright, who embraced the role of a franchise player by inking a three-year extension with the young PBA team, also had seven boards, seven assists, and five steals in the affair.“We’re still so far from where we should be,” he said.Wright’s words echo the sentiment of his coach, Louie Alas, who warned his squad against being satisfied with its current run, especially since the Fuel Masters yet have to face the league’s heavyweights.“I feel it in my bones that we’re going to be something special,” said Wright. “We just have to keep at it.”ADVERTISEMENT ANTIPOLO CITY—Phoenix has zoomed right to the top of the PBA Philippine Cup standings with its four consecutive victories. But gunner Matthew Wright said there’s no reason to celebrate.ADVERTISEMENT PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town At least, not yet.“We haven’t done anything yet. We haven’t done anything worth bragging about. We haven’t won a playoff game yet,” the Filipino-Canadian marksman told the press shortly after the FuelMasters decimated Blackwater, 114-95, Friday night at Ynares Center here.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsThe team’s recent strides, Wright said, is a testament to how much work the FuelMasters have put in.“We’ve been working our asses off. I feel like we’re jelling together,” he said. MOST READ LATEST STORIES ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting PVL kicks off new season with All-Star Game View comments PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants
TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Agent reveals Juventus serious about buying Ramsey this monthby Carlos Volcano9 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveItalian agent Andrea Boscolo has revealed Juventus are attempting to sign Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey this month.Juve and Ramsey have settled on Bosman terms, with the Welshman happy to move to Turin in June when his Gunners deal expires.However, Boscolo has confirmed reports of Juve wanting to buy Ramsey immediately to take part in the remainder of their Champions League campaign.He told TMW: “I know that Juventus are trying to get him now because he could be important for the Champions League, he is an experienced player who will not have difficulty entering the Italian league and (coach Max) Allegri’s tactical board. “The ideal position is a midfielder that is good for the two phases, like (Claudio) Marchisio: he can assist and score, he can give something more to the Juventus midfield.”
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Liverpool reacts furiously to ‘racist’ Origi from own supportersby Freddie Taylor2 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool have reacted furiously to a banner depicting Divock Origi in Genk.The Reds labelled the flag ‘highly offensive’ after it briefly hung from the second tier in the away end prior to kick-off in Belgium.A Liverpool spokesperson said: “Liverpool Football Club condemns the offensive banner displayed in our section of the ground, prior to kick off.”To be clear, the image used perpetuated a racist stereotype.”This is completely unacceptable. We acted swiftly to have the banner removed and we are now working with the local authorities and stadium team in Genk to identify those responsible.”Any subsequent action will be taken in keeping with our sanctions process.”
New Delhi: Gujarat in India, Gujrat in Pakistan; Hyderabad here and also there; Delhi Gate in Lahore and Lahori Gate in Patiala. Then there is the favourite sweetmeat of many Indians, the Karachi halwa, while the Pakistanis relish Bengali samosa. Some names have withstood the uneasy decades since Partition, standing out like little beacons of oneness in a landscape fraught with hostility but also hope between two neighbours sharing a border and age-old cultural ties. India-Pakistan, locked into a hyphenated relationship of a shared history and a divided present, is not just about rift but also about the many vestiges of unity that have survived seven decades. It’s about the names of streets, shops, monuments, food and more, say historians and others on both sides of the border. With the recent escalation in tensions following the Pulwama terror attack, this legacy has come under increasing strain. The spotlight of unwelcome attention fell on the Karachi Bakery in Ahmedabad and Bengaluru after the February 14 strike, which prompted the first aerial combat between the two countries since 1971 and led to the capture of an IAF pilot by Pakistan on February 27. Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman was released almost three days later on March 1. The managements of the two stores were told by vigilantes to hide Karachi’, Pakistan’s buzzing commercial centre, from their signboards. Forced to show their Indianness, they also put up a tricolour along with posters reading that the brand was established in 1953 by a Sindhi, Khanchand Ramnani, who migrated to India after Partition and is “absolutely Indian by heart”. The ripple effect of fear could be seen in other cities, including in the national capital, particularly the historic walled city. “All I can tell you is that we are as Indian as anyone standing or doing business in the street out here. Anyone judging our loyalty for this nation by the name of my shop, which is there for over good 50 years now, is despicable,” said an Old Delhi based trader.
Liverpool striker Sadio Mane revealed that he paid very little notice of rumours linking him with Real Madrid before signing a new contract in November.The Senegal international had been linked with a surprise transfer to the Santiago Bernabeu following a strong campaign at Liverpool last season amid prolonged talks over a new deal at Anfield.Mane finally put an end to these rumours by signing his contract in November that will see him remain at Liverpool until 2023.The 26-year-old followed in the footsteps of his strike partners Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino in committing his long-future to the Reds.And Mane has now revealed that talk over a switch to Real was never something he took seriously while negotiating his contract.“Speculation is part of football,” Mane told World Soccer. “You just learn to live with it and not to take it too seriously.Solskjaer praises Harry Maguire after Man United’s 1-0 win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Ole Gunnar Solskjaer singled out Harry Maguire for praise after helping Manchester United keep a clean sheet in their 1-0 win over Leicester City.“All I can say is that my only concern is Liverpool. Mo, Bobby… it seemed like everyone was signing contracts and they were saying: ‘Hey Sadio, when are you going to sign?’. I said to each of them: ‘Don’t worry bro, I will sign.’“And what did I do? I signed… so they are pleased now!“I’m very happy here and I think people are happy with me too. We want to write our names alongside the many great ones in the story of this club. Hopefully, it’s the beginning of something special.”Mane joined Liverpool in the summer of 2016 from Southampton in a £34m deal and he’s since gone on to manage 43 goals and 20 assists in 101 appearances across all competitions.The Senegalese forward has played a vital role in Liverpool’s climb up to the top of the Premier League this term with nine goals in 21 games and will hope to continue his fine form for the remainder of the campaign as the Reds chase a first league title since 1990.